In Cambodia 34 People Ate Dog Meat, 4 Died & 30 Are in Hospital

In Defense of Animals has issued a warning after four people are reported dead and more than 30 hospitalised after eating toxic dog meat in Cambodia.

It is unclear whether the meat was bought from a market or by a neighbour of the deceased dog, where the tragedy unfolded in Kratie province.

Tragically, a fourth person died after consuming leftover meat at the funeral of one of the initial three victims. More than 30 people have now been hospitalised.

“This incident is tragic, but not surprising” said In Defense of Animals’ Haley Anderson. “Dog meat can be as deadly to humans as it is to animals – meat can harbour hazardous diseases such as rabies and parvovirus.

Sadly, many dogs are stolen from people’s homes, poisoned with toxins such as cyanide. When they end up on the table, people are exposed to diseases and toxic chemicals.

Events like this remind us that animal welfare and human welfare are intrinsically linked, and should serve as a warning to people across Asia to ditch dog meat for good.”

Dog meat is eaten in countries across Asia, including Cambodia, South Korea, China, Vietnam and Laos. Earlier this year, 13 people were treated after eating rabies-infected dog meat in the Philippines, where the trade is illegal.

Dealers are known to buy animals stolen illegally from homes – often still wearing their collars. Trucks stacked with hundreds of dogs crammed alive into wire cages to transport their grim cargo toward the slaughterhouse. The World Health Organization has linked the trade to the spread of cholera-causing bacteria.

In Defense of Animals has campaigned to end the dog and cat meat trade for more than ten years. For more information, please visit: http://www.idausa.org/campaigns/dogs-cats

IMPORTANT: All Dog Owners Should Read This (CLICK HERE)

Comments

comments

Add Comment